Nevada Department of Education State of Nevada Homepage
 Career, Technical & Adult Education   



Take the GED Tests 

Where is the test given?

There are numerous testing sites located throughout Nevada. You may take it at any site convenient to you. Some versions of the test may not be offered at every site.

Directory of GED Testing Centers

Can I take the test online?

No, there is no online version of the official GED test available anywhere in the world. The test must be taken in person at an authorized testing site.

How much does it cost to take the test?

Currently the fee is $60.00 for the entire battery of tests. The fee is payable at the time of registration and is non-refundable.

Is advance registration necessary?

All test sites require advance reservations and registration. Check with your individual test site for registration requirements. If you are over eighteen, you will need proof of Nevada residency, a government issued picture ID (driverís license or identification card) and another form of identification. If you are under eighteen you will need other documentation, so check with your test registrar ahead of time to be sure you bring the proper papers with you when you register. If you are not a U.S. citizen, see below.

How often is the test offered?

Check with the test site of your choice for scheduling information. Some sites give the entire test in one day, in which case all parts of the test must be completed on the same day. Some sites give the test over two days.

Do I have to take the entire test over if I miss one part?

An applicant who takes the GED for the first time must complete the entire battery of five tests before retesting on any individual tests. An applicant who completes initial testing but fails to achieve the minimum scores may be retested on the entire battery of tests or on the failed individual test or tests. You only have to retake the parts of the test below the required minimum score of 410 points unless you need a higher score to bring your average up to 450. Also, if you score below 1.5 on the essay, you must take the entire writing test over.

How many times can I take the tests?

A different form of the edition will be used for the retests. An applicant may be retested any number of times, although availability of alternative forms of the test may limit the number of possible retests in any calendar year.

How is the test scored?

Each part of the test is scored separately. An overall score of 2250 with an average standard score of 450 is required to pass the test. No score may be under 410.

Must I be a resident of Nevada to take the test?

Yes. Certificates of High School Equivalency (proof of passing the GED) are only issued to persons who reside in the State of Nevada or who are on active military duty and have attended secondary school in Nevada. Nevadaís residency policy for GED testing allows for testing certain non-residents who live near the border of Nevada in adjacent states when a testing site is not easily accessible to the non-resident.

Is there are minimum age requirement to take the test?

Yes. The minimum age is 18, except in the following cases:

  1. The board of trustees of a school district may, upon request and for good cause shown, grant permission to take the tests of general educational development prescribed by the state board to a person who:

    1. resides in the school district

    2. is at least 16 years of age but less than 17 years of age

    3. submits to the board of trustees written permission signed by his parent or legal guardian

    4. has not graduated from a high school

    5. is not currently enrolled in a high school, and

    6. satisfies any other requirements prescribed by the board of trustees.

    Note: it is no longer necessary for 16 year olds to seek permission for GED testing from the Nevada State Board of Education.

  2. Applicants who are 17 years of age, but less than 18 years of age may register to take the GED exam after presenting:

    1. written permission signed by parent or legal guardian, and

    2. verification of withdrawal from school.

Is it possible to take the test in a language besides English?

Yes. There are seven different versions of the test. The Spanish version of the test is offered at many of the sites in Nevada. Call your local test site or the Adult Education Office (775-687-7294) to learn where alternate versions of the test are offered.

If I am a foreign language student taking the test in English, may I use a translator?

No. If you feel your English skills are not sufficient, you may take the test in Spanish or French.

Are there other versions of the test available?

Yes, there are seven versions of the GED test (English, Spanish, French, Canadian, audio, large print, and Braille). Not all sites will have all the versions. You will need special permission to take the test in audio, large print, or Braille, so make those arrangements well in advance of testing.

Do I need a Social Security Number to take the test?


May I take the GED test if I am not a U.S. Citizen?

Yes. GED Testing Service guidelines stipulate that in order for a person to take the GED tests, he or she must possess verification of identity and eligibility for testing. Identity and age must be verified using acceptable photograph-bearing identification. Driver's licenses, valid passports, military IDs, or other forms of government-issued (national or foreign) identification that show name, address, date of birth, signature, and photograph are all acceptable forms of identification, unless there is any reason to question their authenticity. An appropriate combination of documents may be used to satisfy the requirements. Non-citizens, including refugees, legal and illegal immigrants, resident and nonresident aliens, and other foreign nationals are eligible to take the GED Tests if they meet all of the requirements of the Commission and the state, province, or territory, including requirements on age and withdrawal from school.

May I take the GED test if I have a high school diploma from another country?

Yes. Persons whose high school diploma is from an unaccredited high school are eligible to take the GED Tests if they meet all other requirements of the Commission and state, province, or territory. Persons who earn diplomas in countries that do not participate in the GED testing program are likewise eligible to take the GED Tests if they meet all other requirements

Michael J. Raponi, Director
755 N. Roop St., Ste 201
Carson City, NV 89701
(775) 687-7283

Google Calendar

Carson City Main (MAP)
700 E. Fifth Street
Carson City, NV 89701
Phone: (775) 687-9200  
Fax: (775) 687-9101

Carson City Satellite (MAP)
755 N. Roop Street, Suite 201
Carson City, NV 89701
Phone: (775) 687-7300
Fax: (775) 687-8636

Las Vegas  (MAP)
9890 South Maryland Parkway,
Suite 221
Las Vegas, Nevada 89183
Phone: (702) 486-6458 (8am-5pm)
Fax: (702) 486-6450

Copyright © 2008- State of Nevada - Department of Education
  Web Development:
DoIT's AD&D Web Development Team