Nevada Department of EducationNevada Department of Education

Please ensure that you have read over all Licensing Requirements prior to applying for your license through OPAL

**OPAL** is available to all educators by copying and pasting the following URL: or by clicking on the link below.

OPAL: Apply For a License or Endorsement

OPAL Instructions for Registration

New and existing licensees must register themselves and use OPAL to update contact information, clear provisions, add extensions, apply for additional licenses or endorsements, and start the renewal process. Everything uploaded into OPAL must be in the form of a PDF document. Please note that Original Transcripts must be uploaded by Department staff and not by the applicant.

OPAL is now in use by all Department licensure staff, and all applications received by our offices in Carson City and Las Vegas are being entered into the new system for faster processing. Applicants should expect to receive email notifications and text messages as their applications move through each stage of the process, from initial intake to evaluation by an analyst to background clearance and final license issuance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I have to create an account to submit a license application or can I use an old paper form?

A: You must create an account and submit the electronic application. As of July 1, 2018, the NDE no longer accepts paper applications. If you submit an old paper application, it will be returned back to you along with any documents you provided and this will delay your application for licensure significantly.

Q: Who do I contact if I need support with OPAL?

A: You may email Educator Licensure at: or call our main number at: 702-486-6458.

Q: How do I reset my password?

A: You simply click the “forgot password” function at the bottom of the login screen and OPAL will automatically email you a temporary password.

Q: What happens if I change my email address or cannot access my account through an old email address I no longer have access to?

A: You must contact Educator Licensure immediately at: or call our main number at: 702-486-6458. Explain that you need your email address updated and then we will be able to update your account profile.

Q: When do I fingerprint for the NDE?

A: You will receive emailed instructions to get fingerprinted upon payment and completion of your application to the email we have on file with your OPAL account profile.

Q: What are the acceptable forms of ID to upload to OPAL?

A: We accept these government-issued ID’s: Driver’s Licenses, Passports, and Military ID’s. They must be scanned in as PDF documents, we must be able to read your identifying information and clearly see the picture. We do not accept pictures, only PDF’s.

Q: How long does it take for processing of applications or provision removals through OPAL?

A: The current processing timelines are located on the home page, but generally it takes between 4-6 weeks during non-peak seasons and 6-8 weeks during the peaks seasons. Our office has a total of 13 staff members and of which there are 5 analysts to serve the nearly 40,000 educators who hold licensure in Nevada.

Q: How do I change my name through OPAL?

A: You simply log into your OPAL account and click on the link under Online Services that says, “Name Change with supporting documentation” and upload legible PDF copies of your valid government-issued ID along with any court documentation (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or name change decree).

Q: How do I remove a provision from my license(s) and/or endorsement(s)?

A: You simply log into your OPAL account and click on the link under Online Services that says, “Remove a provision from an existing license/endorsement.” This will bring you to an area to select which provision(s) you wish to remove and you select those and upload any supporting documents in PDF format other than transcripts. For transcripts, the NDE needs originals submitted to our office in Las Vegas in person, via mail, or sent by e-Script to: from the college, university, or clearing house.