School Crisis and Emergency Operations Plans
Nevada public, private and charter schools are required to have School Emergency Operations Plans (EOPs) that meet the federal definition of a high-quality school EOP. The EOP must also comply with any additional Nevada requirements.
Requirements for Crisis and Emergency Response in Schools
Nevada Revised Statute (NRS) 388.229 through 388.261 provides regulations on school crisis and emergency response in public and charter schools in Nevada. NRS 394.168 - 394.1699 provides regulations on school crisis and emergency response for Nevada’s private schools.
- Nevada Revised Statute 388.229 through NRS 388.261 (external link)
- Nevada Revised Statute 394.168 - 394.1699 (external Link)
All schools are required to utilize the Federal Guide for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans when developing their School Emergency Operations Plan.
- Federal Guide for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans (external link)
- REMS Role of Districts in Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans; A Companion to the School Guide
Nevada schools can utilize their current Emergency Operations Plan template OR can utilize the Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools Interactive Workbook and Instructions as a template for developing a high-quality Emergency Operation Plan.
- Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools Interactive Workbook and Instructions (external link)
All school Emergency Operation Plans must meet all the requirements listed in the Crisis and Emergency Response Model Plan Guidance Checklist.
Once your Emergency Operation Plan has been completed, it must be uploaded to the following site on the Emergency Response Plan Portal.
The Emergency Operations Plan Notice of Completion must be sent to the Nevada Department of Education.
All school Emergency Operation Plans are confidential by regulation and cannot be shared with the public.
Nevada schools should consider a Suicide Postvention Plan for schools when developing your Emergency Operation Plan.
Laura Hutchinson, School Safety Coordinator