Substitute Teaching License

This license allows an educator to teach all subjects in grades Pre-Kindergarten through 12th Grade.

The relevant section in Nevada Administrative Code (NAC) specifying the requirements to hold this license are below:

Emergency Substitute License

Upon the written request of a school district, the Department of Education may, in an emergency, authorize the school district to hire an emergency substitute teacher to serve as a teacher in Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 in a school. Emergency Substitutes are only authorized for employment in rural districts and/or schools as defined in NAC 391.0896, or in non-rural districts and/or schools during a state of emergency in Nevada as proclaimed by the Nevada Governor.

The Governor's State of Emergency was lifted May 20, 2022. As a Result, regulation 028-21 adopted February 28, 2022, does not allow emergency substitute teachers to be employed in a district with a student enrollment above 9,000 after the conclusion of summer 2022 programming.

Please ensure your eligibility prior to applying for an initial or renewed Emergency Substitute license.

The relevant section in Nevada Administrative Code (NAC) specifying the requirements to hold this license is below:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I apply for a reciprocal Substitute or Emergency Substitute License?
A: The NDE does not reciprocate these license types from other states, territories, or countries.

Q: How do I apply for a license?
A: You must create an OPAL account and submit your electronic application and supporting documentation online to our office.

Q: What testing do I have to take for this license?
A: There is no required testing for substitute licenses.

Q: Do “testing credits” on my official transcripts count towards the 60 credits minimum requirement set forth in regulation for the NDE to issue me a license as a substitute teacher?
A: No. Testing credits do NOT count. The credits are only accepted if they are actual “semester credits” per NAC 391.0897.

Q: Are Substitutes required to complete professional development in order to renew?
A: No. Professional development hours are not required to renew a Substitute license. You will only need to complete and submit a renewal application in your OPAL account, pay the renewal fee, and complete a background check. Please note that to renew an Emergency Substitute license, you must be eligible to renew and must obtain and submit a completed Emergency Substitute Request form with the renewal application.