Nevada law (Nevada Revised Statutes 385.3593) requires the State Board of Education to develop an annual plan to improve the achievement of pupils enrolled in Nevada public schools. This plan, commonly referred to as the “State Improvement Plan,” or “STIP,” is prepared for the State Board’s consideration by the Nevada Department of Education (NDE) and reflects feedback and input from education partners and stakeholders from across the State.
The Nevada Department of Education's (NDE) mission is to improve student achievement and educator effectiveness by ensuring opportunities, facilitating learning, and promoting excellence. The STIP is a work plan for NDE to achieve that mission. The STIP is also a vision to improve education in Nevada over the next five years. NDE partnered with school and district leaders and educators to create the STIP. The Goals and Values address the needs of the students, staff, and families that we met on the Listening Tour.
The 2020 STIP supports our vision that every student will graduate from high school ready for success. In other words, by 2025, they will be Battle Born and Globally Prepared.
Statewide Listening Tour
The Superintendent of Public Instruction traveled Statewide from September 2019 to January 2020. She visited all 17 school districts and the State Public Charter School Authority. The Superintendent met with district and school leaders, boards of education, educators and staff, students and families, and community members. The visits showcased the unique and innovative work happening in our communities.
The 2020 STIP Values are the foundation of NDE's work. These Values are essential to everything we do:
- Equity: The learning needs of every student are supported in an environment where all students are valued, respected, and see themselves in their curriculum and instructional materials while experiencing academic success without regard to differences in age, gender, socio-economic status, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, ability, native language, national origin, or citizenship status
- Access to Quality: Students, educators, and families have opportunities to take full advantage of Nevada’s education system, regardless of their zip code, district, or setting
- Success: Lead the nation in the excellence and rigor of our standards, assessments, and outcomes for students and educators
- Inclusivity: Learners are served in their least restrictive environment in culturally responsive and sustaining schools
- Community: NDE collaborates with educators, districts, families, stakeholders, and partner agencies to lead a high-performing and responsive system of education for all Nevadans
- Transparency: Districts, schools, and communities are served through efficient and effective use of public funds and fulfillment of statutory responsibilities
Our Goals for 2025 focus on Nevada's children and students. The word "all" is in every Goal. “All” means regardless of age, gender, socio-economic status, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, ability, native language, national origin, or citizenship status. The Goals express our commitment to the well-being of every student. No matter who you are or where you go to school, NDE supports your success.
- Goal 1: All children, birth through third grade, have access to quality early care and education.
- Goal 2: All students have access to effective educators.
- Goal 3: All students experience continued academic growth.
- Goal 4: All students graduate future-ready and globally prepared for postsecondary success and civic life.
- Goal 5: All students have access to new and continued educational opportunities supported by funding that is administered transparently, consistently, and in accordance with legislative or grant guidelines.
- Goal 6: All students and adults learn and work together in safe environments where identities and relationships are valued and celebrated.