Federal Relief Funding for K-12 Education
The Nevada Department of Education (NDE) continues to partner with district and school leaders, K-12 education stakeholders, and State and federal officials to lead the education sector’s response to and recovery from COVID-19. As with all of our work, our COVID-19 response is grounded in our values as defined in our Statewide Plan for the Improvement of Pupils: equity, access to quality, success, inclusivity, community, and transparency. In accordance with our values and in partnership with the State Board of Education, NDE identified and has aligned it’s COVID-19 response and recovery – including the allocation of relief funds – to the following priorities established in April 2020, which have been updated to address learning loss as we shift from COVID-19 response to recovery and renewal:
- Closing opportunity gaps for students who have been traditionally underserved
- Safe, efficient, and equitable re-opening of school buildings
- Access to technological capacity for educators, students, and families
- Social and emotional support of students in response to COVID-19
- Access to high-quality professional development for educators in addressing learning loss
- Access to high-quality instructional materials for educators and students to help address learning loss
- Support of parents, families, and communities
- Access to adult education and workforce development opportunities
The tables below include a summary overview of the federal relief funding provided to school districts and the State Public Charter School Authority (known as local education agencies or LEAs) through the Coronavirus Aid, Recovery, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act, and the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act.
AB495 Competitive Grant Overview
During the 2021 State Legislative Session, Assembly Bill 495 (AB495) was passed with an appropriation of $200 million dollars for the Nevada Department of Education (NDE) to administer as grants to school districts and university schools for profoundly gifted students. This grant is being funded by the State of Nevada's Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds, which was established in the American Rescue Plan and signed into law by the President of the United States on March 11, 2021. AB495 is specifically aimed to "augment programs implemented to address the impacts of learning loss experienced as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, including, without limitation, evidence-based educational services and practices to address the academic needs of pupils, such as tutoring, summer school, afterschool programs and other extended learning and enrichment programs and support for at-risk pupils."
- All Nevada local education agencies (LEAs) and University School for profoundly gifted students
Technical Assistance Opportunities:
- July 7, 2022, webinar recording (Passcode: R*3hZXk^)
- July 12, 2022, webinar recording (Passcode: &=8%izQM)
- July 21, 2022, webinar recording
- July 27, 2022, webinar recording (Passcode: VS=5EK^D)
Featured Federal Relief Funding Projects
The Nevada Department of Education has worked hard to prioritize Federal Relief Funding for projects that respond to the most urgent needs facing schools, families, and communities due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
To learn more about individual projects, click on the links below. Projects will be added on an ongoing basis upon approval and launch.
- 10,000 Nevada Educators can access up to $800 in classroom resources through DonorsChoose
- Incentivizing Pathways to Teaching: 3,840 Pre-Service Nevada Educators to Receive Grants while Completing Coursework or Student Teaching
Focus Area Summaries
Local Education Agency (LEA) Allocation Tables
Click here to access all Local Education Agency (LEA) Funding Allocation Tables.
- Guidance Document
- LEA Allocation Tables
- ARP IDEA (Special Education) Allocations
- ARP ESSER Modes of Instruction
- Nevada ARP ESSER State Plan
- 2021-2022 LEA Reopening Plans and ARP ESSER Use of Funds Plan
- Nevada ARP ESSER FAQ's
- Supporting Students Through Federal Relief Funding: ARP ESSER Planning Guide for LEAs
- Fact Sheet on COVID-19 Relief Funding
- Supporting Students Through Federal Relief Funding
- Overview of Federal Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act
- SY 2021-2022 Maintenance of Equity Data
- Maintenance of Equity for year 2022 Results
- SY 2022-2023 Maintenance of Equity Data