Commission on School Funding
Senate Bill 543 (2019) created the 11-member Commission on School Funding to guide the work of the Department of Education to revamp Nevada’s K-12 education funding formula for the first time in over a half-century. The Commission's responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing guidance to school districts and the Department of Education on the implementation of the Pupil-Centered Funding Plan;
- Reviewing the base per pupil funding amount, the adjusted per pupil funding for each district, and the multiplier for weighted funding for each category of students and recommend revisions as they determine to be appropriate;
- Reviewing state laws and regulations related to education and making recommendations to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of public education;
- Reviewing and making recommendations relative to the Pupil-Centered Funding Plan’s equity and cost adjustment factors, which include those for each county, small school, and small district; and
- Reviewing the Department of Education’s reports on the personnel and services an average school could employ based on the funding included in the Governor’s recommended budget and the budget approved by the Legislature, and providing recommendations for revision as appropriate.
Pupil-Centered Funding Plan Summary Document
The Commission on School Funding created a document to summarize their work to date, effective March 2021. It also describes the next steps in implementation for the Pupil-Centered Funding Plan. The document is intended to be a public-friendly overview and includes links to more detailed information throughout.
Commission Report - November 15, 2022
In accordance with Assembly Bill (AB) 495 from the 2021 Legislative Session, the Commission completed the report of written findings and recommendations regarding sources of revenue to fund public education. The report was submitted prior to the November 15, 2022 deadline to the Governor and the Director of the legislative Counsel Bureau for transmittal to the next regular session of the Legislature.
Commission Recommendations - April 23, 2021
Per Section 11.1(c) of Senate Bill (SB) 543, the Commission on School Funding shall make recommendations to the Governor and the Legislature for any revisions to the Pupil-Centered Funding Plan that the Commission determines to be necessary to create an optimal level of funding for public schools in Nevada and identify methods to fully fund costs associated with such recommendations within ten years of the date the recommendation was made. The Commission submitted its recommendations on April 23, 2021, and an amendment was updated on April 30, 2021. The transmittal letters and recommendations may be found at the links below.
- Letter to Governor
- Letter to Majority
- Letter to Speaker
- Recommendations to the Governor and the Legislature
Commission Recommendations - July 15, 2020
Per Section 76.3 of SB 543, the Commission on School Funding shall make recommendations to the Governor and the Legislature for any changes that the Commission determines to be necessary for the successful implementation of SB 543. The Commission submitted its recommendations on July 15, 2020. The transmittal letters and recommendations can be found at the links below.
Archived Meeting Materials
Subscribe below and receive updates by email.