Information for All Applicants
A criminal background check is a requirement of all applicants for Nevada Department of Education licensure pursuant to NRS 391.033. In all cases, you will also have to background for your employer. Please note that your employer and the NDE do not share your information and you will (in most cases) be required to do two separate background checks. Failure to background check for the NDE will result in denial of licensure and then you will need to reapply and repay the fees.
- For more information about criminal background checks and fingerprinting, please visit the Background Process page link
You must meet all requirements for academic preparation, student teaching, and competency testing for the specific area of licensure for which you are applying. In some cases, full-time contracted teaching experience may waive student teaching requirements, please see NAC 391.042 for more information.
ARL Licensure Conversion Applicants Checklist
If you have completed all the requirements of your ARL license and are converting to a standard license, you will need to first register for your online profile through OPAL and follow the checklist below:
Information on Adding Additional Endorsements
If you are applying for an additional endorsement or area of licensure to your existing Nevada educator license, you will need to register for your online profile through OPAL add these endorsements on during the application process please make sure to include:
- Proof of completion of all academic requirements for licensure in the specified area(s), in the form of original transcripts issued by a regionally accredited college or university and bearing the college or university seal. Electronic transcripts are acceptable if sent directly to the Department of Education from the issuing institution or a recognized clearinghouse such as eScript. Our email address for electronic transcripts is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Competency testing score reports, if required.
- Verification of teaching experience or work experience (for Administrators, Business & Industry and Special Qualifications applicants only), if applicable.
- Additional endorsements are $50.00 each and payable with a credit or debit card through OPAL.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I know what testing is required for Nevada licensure.
A: Please visit the Competency Testing link for more information on this.
Q: Which licenses or endorsements should I apply for?
A: All licenses and endorsements are covered by clicking on the links from the main webpage under the standard license requirements, special license requirements, or licensed personnel requirements.